Wednesday, February 22, 2006

My life in the freak show

My life in the freak show
success!!!!!!

Yesterday a major breakthrough was made. Ben learned to tie his own shoelaces. They need tightening etc, but there he did it, it was huge. You should of seen the look of pride on his face. I should explain to you that Ben has Aspergers. Aspergers is on the Autism spectrum. So Bens fine & gross motor skills, to be honest, are pretty much crap. But there you have it, at 8 and a half, he has started to tie his own shoelaces. It was one of those rare time that I really honestly saw Ben genuinely smile & look proud. I wish my mind was a camera, I want to click on that beautiful smile & keep it forever, it was one of the rare times where I saw Ben happy. Why didn't I have a camera? I wish I did. But it happened so unexpectedly...Jacinda taught him. My 5 year old daughter achieved what Mark & I have been trying to do for 3 years. She achieved it in 15 minutes. Heads together, watching, learning, practicing. They both came outside where Mark & I were, & Ben came shyly over to me. Mark & I were stunned & thrilled. So stunned & thrilled that Jacinda had to promt us to clap. Yesterday, I was a proud Mother. Yesterday, I cried. While writing this I am crying, but they are tears of pride & joy, they are not tears of sadness or frustration. Yesterday, I was simply a proud Mother.

2 Comments:

Blogger Leonie said...

Well done Ben!! It's those little moments that help with the not-so-good times!

3:44 PM  
Blogger Debs said...

Way To Go Ben!!! :)

2:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home